How do I start a career in automation?
Automation engineers are the ones who make use of the latest technologies, tools, and techniques to manage the production and delivery of products efficiently. The key role of automation engineers is to develop, design and manage the automated system. With technology being in demand everywhere, demand for automation engineers has been ever increasing. Individuals seeking a career in automation engineering are going for automation courses that help them to know the nitty-gritty of automation engineering and have a flourishing career ahead.
We have brought to you this article to help you understand who are automation engineers, what do they do daily, why one should go for a career in automation and how can one start a career in automation? So let’s get started.
Roles and responsibilities of an automation engineer
Automation engineers are responsible for helping their organization by developing a production workflow that is highly effective. They implement complex electrical and mechanical installation assistance to aid in efficient equipment output and strict compliance with safety regulations. Additionally, they handle day-to-day technical support requests for enhancing the functioning of machines. Since automation engineers also need to plan and execute organizational initiatives, they must know about the industry’s assembly process of various types of machinery. A majority of automation engineers take care of the training of workers on using manufacturing machines, and therefore, they need to be up to date with the latest programming languages to be able to resolve issues with automated machines.
A majority of automation engineers take care of automated machinery and robot optimization. They are expected to stick to the organization’s rules and regulations while taking part in the implementation of new protocols.
Additionally, automation engineers need to possess excellent organizational skills for designing successful projects, and along with that automation engineers must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills with exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
Steps for Starting a Career in Automation
You can start a career in automation by taking the following steps:
- Get the basics right: Automation testing is a more technology-driven process and thus makes it essential for automation engineers to have a profound knowledge of the area. A sound understanding of the technical things will help an automation engineer to know why and how automation works.
- Take early steps: Rather than waiting for an opportunity to learn automation, it’s better to try your hands at automation. You can do this by looking for various open-source tools that can be used free of cost and try testing on your own using applications such as Gmail, Amazon, or even Microsoft Office.
- Gain knowledge of Basic Coding Concepts: Although automation engineers need not do any coding, however, knowing basic coding languages like Java, JS, C#, Python, Ruby may help in the long run and let you do better automation testing.
- Consider learning manual testing: Even though firms are deploying automation these days on a large scale for better productivity, it’s always good to know about manual testing too! This will help you understand the primary concept of automation and the differences between manual and automation testing.
- Get a basic idea of applications: An automation engineer needs to know everything about application software that will be tested. This primarily involves knowing about programming languages utilized for developing a software application, platform used for building an application, databases involved in a software application, aim behind developing an application and features of applications.
- Try experimenting with automation testing tools: To experiment with various automation tools, it is good to have an elaborate idea of environment and architecture and see if they are relevant for automation testing.
- Get insight into ATLC methodology: ATLC is the short form of automation testing lifecycle. This is the core of automation and requires an automation engineer to examine automation tools, carry out the automation testing process, make decisions related to automating testing, creating a plan for testing, designing and development, execute test script and manage the overall process, assess and review test process.
- Learn creating test automation strategy: Learning everything about ATLC methodology will teach you to make better automation strategies, choose useful tools and plan the overall expenditure.
- Keep up with the latest testing trends: With ongoing changes in technology, it becomes inevitable for automation engineers to keep up with the latest testing trends, tools, and techniques used in automation for efficient automation testing.
How much do automation engineers earn in India?
According to Payscale, the average yearly salary of an automation engineer in India is ₹479,969. Let’s look at the salaries of automation engineers in India as per their increasing work experience.
|Work Experience (years)||Salary (INR)|
We hope this article would have proved to be instrumental in guiding you to take your first step towards a career in automation. Looking at the salary trend, a career in automation seems lucrative. So don’t wait and kick start your career in automation by getting the right knowledge and training.